Sunday, November 2, 2014

Surprise!

My host brothers were on vacation from school for two weeks and my host dad decided to take a week off too so the house was full (normally my host brothers aren't home during the week cause they go to boarding school and my host dad works in Paris and comes home on weekends). It was really fun getting to see everybody more, but one morning at breakfast my host mom casually mentions that it's my host dad's birthday that day...and the only reason she said it was that we could hear him grumbling about his computer in the other room and she said they were going to go buy him a new one that day for his birthday.
So here I am like what's the protocol for your host dad's birthday...do you get him a present? are you invited to the family birthday dinner? and it was that day so I was like okay Taylor you got this, get him a really casual present that's not over the top. So I decided on Ferrero Rocher chocolates and I gave them to him just before dinner and he really liked them (we did 'faire la bise' for the first time which is the cheek kiss thing).
Then we all assemble for dinner and I ask the mom, oh did you buy the computer today? and she kinda shook her head at me and gave me this look, now this look is generally reserved for when I say something that she doesn't understand at all, sort of blank and confused, and I was like no I remember you told me you were going to buy a computer for his birthday and then all of a sudden it hits me, it's a surprise present and I just announced it in front of the birthday guy. And like I tried to play it off but I'm not even good at that in English, let alone French, so he totally knew. However, not all the kids were in the room at that moment so when it came time for him to open presents one of them was like Dad guess what we got you....and he was like well my money's on a computer....I was so embarrassed...but I think overall they got a kick out of it. I'm sure next year my host mom will make sure to warn the host student or just not invite them at all lol.

Also, a little later they asked how old my dad was, and then my mom (sorry parents for disclosing said info) but I successfully said oh my dad's 59 but then I was like yeah my mom's 68 (instead of 58)... the look on their faces was priceless. then I put a french accent on the word cougar and asked if that translated...i got some grins so i took that as a yes

No comments:

Post a Comment