So I visited one of my IES friends at her house on Friday night. It's important to note that her host parents were gone for the weekend (visiting the ocean *sigh*). I asked if she could show me around her house before I left cause it's fun to see the different places people are staying. This was a super nice three story house with a cute back garden. Walking around we got to two doors that had post-its stuck on them saying "Do not open the door" (in french) and something at the bottom that we couldn't read (it's also important to note that the french teach cursive a little differently than we do so it's kind of difficult to read some letters). I don't know about french kids but I know that if I read that, the first thing I'm going to do is want to know what's behind the door. So she's like oh it's totally fine, we'll just crack open the door so I can show you this super nice room with a bunch of breakables.....
10 seconds after we open the door an earsplitting alarm goes off and we freeze. Turns out that last word we couldn't read was "alarm." You know what "alarm" is in french?...."alarme"..../: Of course we don't know how to turn it off and we're freaking out cause we think the police are about to burst through the door at any second. And while it wasn't really a laughing situation, we looked at each other and couldn't stop giggling which added to our unproductivity. Thankfully, a french university student is also living there so she was able to call the host mom and get instructions on how to turn it off. So no harm done, no police record...don't really know if I'll be allowed back over to her house but you win some you lose some.
No comments:
Post a Comment